Thursday, June 24, 2010

Beyond All Men's Fears

I don't real a lot of philosophy.  Frankly, I think most of it is shit.  Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil, however, is one book I keep on my shelf and refer back to probably far too often.

I was introduced to Nietzsche when he was referenced in an interview with Henry Rollins.  I was young and checked out the philosopher's writings, and for some reason it stuck.  If you know me and have read Nietzsche I don't think that's such a huge surprise. 

As I mentioned, I think most philosophy is shit.  It is either overly introspective to the point where it feels fake, or it isn't introspective enough.  Most of it, I feel, asks the wrong questions and comes to flawed conclusions.  Not so with Nietzsche.  His writing comes across as pure.  I know he is anything but pure, however the meaning is there.  (And that meaning has been exploited by others in not the most befitting manner.)

I don't even ever see myself buying many other philosophical works other than by Nietzsche.  I don't have a special spot on my shelf for philosophy that has anything but Nietzsche's works in it.  At the end of the day, it is what I turn to for quotes, inspiration and guidance.  Some may like Kant or Telesius.  Me?  I'll stick with my German every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment